Like the software on your computer, your radio can be programmed and customized to use certain frequencies and support other applications. With the radio programming, these devices can be used to open and shut down gates along with other numerous applications.
The main programmable settings with the Motorola walkie-talkie include its channel, operating frequency configuration, interference eliminator code, call tunes, microphone gain, etc. You can change all these settings by placing your radio in the programming mode.
If you are new to using radio and are wondering how to program a Motorola radio, then you have come to the right place. In this post, let us see the steps to get your Motorola radio into the programming mode and customize it.
To set your Motorola Radio into Programming Mode
It is simple to set your Motorola radio into the programming mode. First, make sure that your radio is fully charged. Then, hold down the PTT (Push to Talk) and MON button simultaneously for three seconds. Make sure that you completely hold those two buttons and not press & release.
After three seconds, you will hear a beep sound from the radio with the PROG sign on the display. Then the frequency (FREQ), code (CODE), and channel number will be alternatively displayed on the display. Now, you have successfully entered your radio into the programming mode.
Selecting available channels and modifying their frequency.
- After entering into the programming mode, press the menu button until the channel number flashes. You can easily select the channel as it is the first setting that is displayed after you enter into the programming mode.
- Now, press (-) or (+) to select the number of channels that you want. You can make available any number of channels that you want in this setting. The radio will retain the settings for the channels that are made unavailable, but you can go to the setting and make it available anytime you want.
- After selecting the channel number, you can change the frequency of it by pressing the menu until the “FREQ” appears on the screen. Now, you can press the plus (+) or the minus (-) button to adjust the frequency of the selected channel.
- After you have selected the channels and adjusted the frequency, you can exit from the programming mode by pressing and holding the PTT (Push to Talk) button or continue in the programming mode.
Programming the interference Eliminator code
- Programming the interference eliminator code is the same as programming channels. You have to go into the programming mode first by pressing and holding the PTT and MON button simultaneously. Then, press the menu until the CODE displays on the screen, and the code number flashes.
- Now, you can press (-) or (+) to select the number of interference codes that you want on your Motorola radio. Finally, you can exit from the programming mode by pressing and holding the PTT button or you can press the MENU button to continue programming.
The interference eliminator code in a radio helps to filter out the static and unwanted noise to reduce interference while communicating. It reduces these interferences either while transmitting, receiving or on standby. With this code, you get to have a clear signal transmission.
Programming the call tones and Vibra call
- You go into the programming mode by pressing and holding the PTT (Push to Talk) and MON button simultaneously. Then, press the MENU until the CA displays on your radio screen,
- Now, you can press the (+) or (-) button to hear and select the call tone that you need to set. You can choose the call tones between 1, 2, 3, 4 for audible sound. To select the Vibra call, you can select the call tone 8 or 4. After selecting the call tones and Vibra call, you can exit from the programming mode.
The call tone in a radio helps to alert a group if you want to transmit a message. The call tone by default is turned off, but you can change it and transmit this call tone to alert the group. The Vibra call makes your radio to vibrate when it receives the message and you haven’t transmitted anything in the last 30 seconds. This is an optional feature in addition to the call tone and the Vibra signal is displayed on the radio if it is turned on.
Programming the microphone gain
- To adjust the microphone gain, you should go into the programming mode and press the menu until the letter “G” is displayed on the screen. The letter should blink on the screen right with the face profile icon.
- Now, you can press the plus (+) or minus (-) to adjust the microphone gain between levels 1 to 3. Level 1 is the least sensitive option that is preferred if you are in a loud environment. Level 3 is the opposite of level 1 and it is highly sensitive. It is preferred for quiet environments. Level 2 is the default option that is preferred for normal environments.
- Now, you can exit the programming mode by pressing the PTT (Push to Talk) button or press MENU to continue programming on your radio.
Editing the Scan list
- To edit the scan list, you should go into the programming mode and press the menu until the letter “Z” displays on the screen at the bottom. You will also see channel number blinking along with this letter with “y” or “n” character to indicate if the channel number is scanned or not.
- Now, you can press the plus (+) or minus (-) to select the channel number and press the MON button to toggle between “y” or “n” to edit that particular channel number in the scan list.
- After editing the channels in the scan list, you can press the Push to Talk (PTT) button to exit the programming more or press the menu to continue programming.
You should edit the scan list of channels to avoid unwanted transmissions when scanning. By editing the channel scan list, you can get faster scanning of channels.
Programming with Customer Programming Software (CPS)
You can use the Customer Programming Software to easily program your Motorola radio than manually programming it. The CPS makes it easy for you to program the radio within a few minutes.
- To program using the CPS, you would need a CPS cable. First, connect your Motorola radio to the computer using the CPS cable. The cable switch must be set to the analog mode.
- Now, open the CPS software on your computer and open the RADIO top tab. Then, click the READ tab to read the type of radio that you have connected. You can also select the type from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the CLS to open a new profile and edit all the settings that you want with the radio. Once all the settings are changed to your desire, click the “write to radio” option to set your radio with the settings that you have edited. You can also save this profile to use it later. After successful programming, the CPS will show a window to confirm it.
Now you have successfully programmed your radio using the CPS software, which is much easier than manual editing.
If you have a Motorola radio, then you can program it either manually or by using a CPS software. We recommend you to program using a CPS software if you already have a CPS cable with you. Programming your radio unlocks a great number of features to it and you certainly must do it if you have a radio with you. We hope this article helps you to program your Motorola radio.