Motorola is one of the few brands in the world that makes some of the best two-way radios in the market, and the model T460 is one such model from them. The T460 is a good two-way, rechargeable radio that gives you a good transmission range.
It also has various other basic features of radios with some of its own unique features. If you wish to buy this model or in the market for good two-way radios, then you have come to the right place. In this post, we will see an in-depth review of the Motorola T460 with its advantages and disadvantages. At the end of this post, you will know whether the T460 model is right for you.
Review of Motorola T460
The T460 comes in black color that looks like all the radios out in the market. The body is made of hard plastic that will give this radio high durability in hard and extreme conditions. The hard plastic build of this radio will make it less susceptible to wear and tear. The earpiece and charging port of this radio comes with sealed rubber flaps that will prevent dust, water, and other dirt from entering this radio. This radio won’t get repaired due to dust or dirt entering it. The T460 also comes with an IP54 certified rating, so it will not break when exposed to rainfall or snow. But this rating doesn’t protect it from repair when submerged into water for a long time. So you still have to be careful with the T460 when using it near the water body.
There are four buttons present on the side of this radio which gives you control for different functionalities. Two buttons are used for the push-to-talk (PTT) feature while the other two buttons work as flashlight and emergency control. The two push-to-talk buttons are used for low and high power transmission PTT functionality. There are buttons present on the front side too that give you control for call tone, monitor, scan, menu, and mode functionality.
The compact form of this radio makes it easy to hold and use. You can carry this radio comfortably on your adventure. Even kids will be comfortable with the size of this two-way radio. Overall, you get a compact and durable radio with the T460 model from Motorola.
You get a good transmission range with this radio of up to 35 miles. You will get 35 miles of transmission range if you are in a good environment with no objects to obscure the frequency. If you are in a busy area with a lot of interference, then the range will get reduced to more than a couple of miles. The T460 still gives you a decent transmission range in a busy area, so you won’t have any problems communicating with it. The two different PTT buttons give you options when communicating with this radio. You can use the low power transmission PTT if you want to save battery or high power transmission PTT to have good transmission range. The audio quality you get with this radio is good even when you are communicating from distance.
The Battery life that you get with this radio is solid. The T460 has support for both the rechargeable NiMH battery and the replaceable 3 AA batteries. The in-built NiMH rechargeable battery will give you more than 10 hours of battery life with this one. You can recharge the NiMH battery and use it further when the power runs out. You can also use the 3 AA batteries to use with this radio. The 3 AA battery will give about a day worth of battery life, so you can use this radio for a long time without worrying about battery life. You can charge the in-built battery of this radio using the micro-USB port and the cable included with the purchase.
- T460 radio has 22 channels and 121 different privacy codes that give a total combination of 2662 channels.
- You also get weather alerts from NOAA weather channels, so you can plan your trip accordingly.
- It has support for VOX, so you can use this radio using only voice commands. With this feature, you don’t have to hold the radio to use, so you can keep your hands free.
- There is also an emergency button present with this radio that will give out an emergency alert when pressed.
- The Keypad lock present with this radio helps you prevent from accidentally pressing the button and changing some settings of this radio.
- You get a low battery alert when the battery becomes low as a warning with this device.
- With the included flashlight button, users can turn on/off the built-in LED with a press of a button.
- You get a good amount of accessories with this radio such as the belt clips, spare batteries, clip-on microphone, charging cable, and docking station. You can use the belt clip to carry this radio on your trip.
- The VibraCall feature present in this radio silences it in an instant. It is useful when you are in a place where you don’t want to be disturbed by your device.
- The T460 is a compact and durable radio.
- You get a dual power source with this device.
- There is a good warranty period from Motorola for this model.
- The hands-free VOX feature comes in handy when you are hiking or skiing.
- It has good cross-band compatibility.
- It has great battery life and transmission range.
- The microphone quality is not good with this device as it struggles to pick up the voice.
- You will get static interference as an interruption when scanning for channels.
- This device is not submersion proof, so it will get damages when accidentally dropped into water.
You get a decent two-way, rechargeable radio for a decent price with the T460 radio model. It is compact and highly durable, so it makes it perfect for adventure. You also get a bunch of useful features that will make you like this radio more. The usability of this radio is pretty easy. If you want a good two-way radio for an affordable price, then you won’t go wrong with the purchase of the T460 radio model from Motorola.